AroundCebu.Com - A Look Around CEBU

Magellan’s Cross

The present Magellan’s Cross is now a Tindalo Wood encasing the original cross planted in April 21, 1521 by Ferdinand Magellan, this marks the spot where the first Christian Filipinos, Rajah Humabon and Queen Juana and about 400 followers were baptized by Fr. Pedro Valderama.

This cross is housed in a chapel next to the Basilica Minore del Santo NiƱo on Magallanes Street (Magallanes being the Spanish name of Magellan), just in front of the city center of Cebu City. A sign below the cross describes the original cross is encased inside the wooden cross that is found in the center of the chapel. This is to protect the original cross from people who chipped away parts of the cross for souvenir purposes or in the belief that the cross possesses miraculous powers.

Read More »

Tags: , ,

Page 1 of 11